Monday, May 10, 2010

Protect the Capitol

I just read an article in the Austin American Statesman about putting metal detectors and security sensors in the state Capital. I say what I great idea! I went to the Capital in high school for a field trip and I noticed one of the teachers who was with us talking about the lack of security at the Capital, especially at the entrance. I did pay attention to the remark and concluded that it was quite true. Literally anyone can come into the Capital with a weapon and harm the nearest person. I find it amazing that there has not been a major incident there already. At least not to my knowledge.

Just recently there was a five to one vote over Governor Rick Perry for deciding that it is time to furnish the Capital with metal detectors and x-ray equipment. I understand where Governor Rick Perry comes from when he says that he wants the state capital to “remain one of the few high profile government buildings that does not screen at entrants.” It would be lovely to think that we live in such a care free, peaches and cream world where nothing bad happens. But, with regard to the January shooting occurrence that happened right outside of the Capital building and all the other crapola that goes on in Austin, we must think a little more reasonably. Our Capital is a very important building and is a very significant symbol to the state of Texas and it would be nice to know that the build is protected.

1 comment:

  1. I was unaware The Capitol needed protection until I read this well-organized blog post written by Cindy Pham, a fellow classmate. She explains why it would be a good idea, and why supporting the side against adding metal detectors and security sensors isn’t being careless. She is pro-getting the security advancements added as she provides an example of a shooting that occurred outside The Capitol in January and presents a strong case in her favor. Personally, I’ve been to the Capitol a few times and never saw the need for increases security, but if it ensures safety, why not, right? This blog post presents the pros and cons in a compact version as she provides details and events in relation to the topic. I recommend this article to anyone who lives in Austin, has been/planning on going to The Capitol, or any tourist interested in visiting this building.

    ReplyDelete