Tuesday, April 6, 2010

PTA

I was reading an article in the Austin American Statesman written by the editorial board that talked about how Del Valle school district did not want any involvement with a Parent Teacher Association of their own. I only have one thing to say about this. “Why?” Just reading that makes me wonder what in the world is the Del Valle school district hiding from us?

The editorial brought up a very good point in regards as to why parents should form a Parent Teacher Association. These people are taxpayers who help finance the schools which in turn, includes the salaries of the Administration. The very administration that is trying hard to prevent the formation of a Parent Teacher Association. I find that there is nothing wrong with wanting to be more involved with your children Del Valle school district. What is wrong with that?

I just do not understand why any school district would not want the parents of the children they are teaching to be more involved with them. It does not make any sense to me. It seems like some downright shady business to me. Like the editorial said, the right thing for them to do is to help the parents organize a Parent Teacher Association.

Del Valle school districts argument to this was that they did not want parents as partners in deciding what was best for the school district. They also felt that parents should seek involvement with their children’s schools through committees that are organized, financed and controlled by the Del Valle school official.
I do not know if it is just me but I find this entire situation extremely weird. To me the Del Valle school district’s reason for not wanting this to happen seem selfish. I believe that the true reason behind this is that they do not want to have to deal with parents because that will take up more of their time. Time that they selfishly want for themselves and not for the honest and true satisfaction of the parents.

4 comments:

  1. I must agree, sounds a little shady-nice find

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say- as a mother, I couldn’t agree with you more. Kids spend a big chunk of their life in school and it’s our job as parents to stay involved in our child’s life. I see no benefit in keeping the parents of these Del Valle students out of the loop on their child’s education. Parents want what is best for their kids, so I think by doing away with the PTA they would also be losing a lot of support, ideas and constructive criticism. Did the dummies who proposed this idea forget that parents are among the voters who decide who is elected to the district’s school board? Call me crazy, but if the school board told me to ‘get lost’ and discouraged me from being a part of my child’s education, I’d vote for a different group of administrators. This was a well-written and interesting commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My colleague, Cindy posted a good article about how Del Valle school district did not want any involvement with a Parent Teacher Association of their own. This commentary shows the parents what Del Valle school is hiding from them? The school gets the entire fund from these people and they are the one who doesn’t know if this money utilized for the school or different purpose.
    It says in this article that the parents should know what is going on with their children and why the school district doesn’t want parents to be involved in this? They want to know everything about their children and the school in which they are going. My colleague posted a good blog which makes parent to think about sending their children to the school which doesn’t reveal the truth. The argument to these by the Del Valle school district didn’t make any sense by telling the parents to seek their children involvement by the school officials.
    I think my colleague did an excellent job with this article post. I think they got all the right and interesting points across and I agree all the way with my colleague. I also think the school district will come up with something and understand this problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My colleague wrote a post about the PTA in Del Valle school district and how the administration didnt want the pta to be involved. I would have to agree with what my colleague said and how it is ridiculous for the school to be doing this. This is basically showing how the school district is trying to hide what they really are doing with the school funds and how they are being used. the parents have the right to know what the school is doing with the money that they get taken out of their pay checks for the betterment of the schools. This article made me think about what kind of other stuff they may be trying to hide from the parents and maybe if any other school districts are trying to pull off a stunt like this. it is completely crazy and shouldnt be allowed. I think my colleague did a great job in summarizing and stating her thoughts about this problem and i am right being her about this topic.

    ReplyDelete